Thinking about Thanksgiving. If you’re on Twitter and available 11/15 at 10 p.m. EST, join me, Jessica Applestone of Fleisher’s and The Holistic Moms Network for a holiday meal Twitter party. Follow @alexandrazissu and @fleishers and the hashtag #HolisticMoms.
1. Know where your turkey is from — local/pastured is great.
2. Choose fresh food over canned to minimize exposure to the hormone-disrupting chemical BPA.
3. Shopping at your farmers’ market will help you with #1 and #2, support local farmers, minimize packaging waste, and will make everything taste fantastic.
4. Ditch your non-stick cookware! Choose cast iron, enamel covered cast iron, and stainless steel instead.
5. Don’t forget your beverages — filtered tap water and sustainably produced wine are two fantastic options.
6. Reduce waste by serving on reusable–not disposable–plates and drink out of reusable glasses. Use silverware, not plastic.
7. Make stock with vegetable scraps and turkey bones. Recycle and compost what you can.
8. Store leftovers in glass, not plastic.
9. Clean with natural cleaning products.